Have you noticed that the recipes around here lately have almost all included tequila? I’m sensing a pattern….or a problem. I’ll reflect on my tequila obsession later, right now I want to share with you these Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes that will rock your world.
Besides the end of the year holidays that offer a plethora of recipe inspiration, my next favorite holiday to celebrate with appropriately themed foods is Cinco De Mayo. Oh, have I already begun plotting the tequila drenched holiday over two weeks in advance? You betcha. Because tequila.
These little cuties have the perfect combination of a delicious no-too-sweet strawberry cupcake base with a wonderfully boozy and zesty frosting.
Ingredients for Strawberry Cupcake:
- 2/3 cup whole fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
Ingredients for the Tequila-Lime Frosting:
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 1/4 tablespoons tequila
Directions for Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt-set aside.
Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree. In a small bowl mix together milk, vanilla and strawberry puree-set aside.
In large bowl with a paddle or small whisk attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to mix until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture-mixing until just blended. Slowly add the milk and strawberry mixture.
Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
Directions for Frosting:
- To make the frosting, whip the butter on medium-high speed of an electric mixer using the whisk attachment for 5 minutes.
- Then reduce the speed to medium-low and gradually add the powdered sugar. Add the lime juice and tequila and mix on medium-high speed until incorporated and fluffy. If the frosting appears a bit too soft, add some additional sugar, one spoonful at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost cupcakes and garnish with a flower, lime peel, lime wedge…anything your heart desires!